Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Q1, Week 4

Wow! The time is going fast!

My classes were a bit displaced this week, due to MAP testing in my classroom, but we adjusted and made do; next week should be more back to normal, in that respect.

Today, students took their first graded map quiz; at the start of next week (after Labor Day!), we'll start right in on the pre-test for the second quiz! We're just going to keep rolling, and try to get as much in as possible this year.

I have a fabulous website recommendation for my students and their families alike explore:

http://go-passport.grolier.com/

I will be using this resource in class-- particularly the Pro/Con debates, essay questions, and encyclopedia components. Check it out!


In both 7th and 8th grades, we're about halfway through our first historic fiction novels! I hope for us to finish up with these by mid-term, so that we can move on to a second novel for the latter half of this quarter. I will be doing some formal checks for comprehension next week, and we'll be discussing some of the literary elements found in these books.


Also, a Social Studies related announcement:

All 6th-8th grade students at Paideia will be taking a field trip to the capitol building in St. Paul on the last day of Q1 (Friday, October 8th). We have taken Paideia students on this trip before, and it was great! This fits in well with 8th grade's study of U.S. Government this quarter. More information on this and other field trips forthcoming.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at my school email account: lhood@paideiaacademy.org

I think we have been pretty darn productive so far this quarter!

Thanks,
Leah Hood